Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Only Black Girl in Jinju

Yes. I was the only black person in this relatively small village in Jinju, South Korea. Coming from New York, that was quite a shock. I was teaching English. (They were some other teachers there from around the world--Australia, America, Ireland, New Zealand, United Kingdom--but just one black person. Me!) The kids are great! And soooo clever. (Seriously, teaching Korean kids must be every teacher's wet dream! They are hardcore about studying and learning!) Anyway, back to being the only black person!
People would literally put their hands in my hair, and touch me-every day!! One day I was at the only museum and was totally surrounded by some people who kept touching my skin and my hair! (This was only last year!! 2008!) It was crazy.
Then, one quiet Saturday afternoon, I was walking to work, when a van stopped and a guy jumped out and screamed, "Marina!" OMG! I totally freaked! It was a delivery guy from the UPS equivalent who was on his way to my apartment to deliver a box of Swiss chocolates from a friend in Switzerland(yes, there are noooo Swiss chocolates to be found in Jinju) ! I can only imagine what the people at the postal deposit told about how to find me.

1 comment:

  1. haha, what an awesome experience! How funny about the delivery guy. I'll bet everyone that met you went home to brag about how they met a black girl. Good experience for the Koreans too.

    ReplyDelete